In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Historic Hallowell

Hallowell Iron Foundry

George Fuller Foundry, Hallowell ca. 1934
George Fuller Foundry, Hallowell ca. 1934

Item Contributed by
Hubbard Free Library

The Hallowell Iron Foundry supplied the Hallowell Cotton Mill with parts for the machines when they were broken. The Hallowell Cotton Mill had a blacksmith shop located on site with the Cotton Mill. Even though they had a blacksmith on site, they needed additional parts. The Hallowell Iron Foundry was formed by P.J. Flagg. In the 1850’s it was in the control of George Fuller and W.R. Prescott. It was taken over by George Fuller in 1860 and he took full control of the company.

In 1878 George Fuller renamed the Iron works “George Fuller and Sons” while he worked with his sons. The Hallowell Iron works was located on the South End of Water Street. It is very rare that a family became so involved in public affairs like the Fuller family did. The Hallowell Iron works manufactured brass castings, shafting, hangers, and pulleys. Orders are always on time and steam and gas fittings are always in stock. At one time, the Hallowell Iron Works employed 30 experienced men. Unfortunately it went out of business in the early 1950’s.